Pasta with Italian Sausage and Mushrooms
- 1 Lbs Sweet Italian Sausage, casings removed
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 Cup sliced Cremini (baby-Bella) mushrooms
- 1 Cup red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 Cup red onion, chopped
- 1 small zucchini squash, sliced lengthwise,roughly chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ Cup dry red wine
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning mix
- 2 tsp crushed red pepper (to taste)
- Kosher salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
- 1 45oz jar Prego Traditional pasta sauce
- 1 Lbs dry Spaghetti, preparedaccording to package directions. Use a gluten free pasta if preferred..
- grated parmesan cheese
- In a Dutch oven, over medium-high heat cook sausage, using a spatula to break sausage up into small pieces until thoroughly cooked and slightly brown. Remove and drain in bowl lined with a paper towel. Set aside
- Remove all but 2 tablespoons of fat from Dutch oven, add olive oil and cook mushrooms until lightly browned. Remove mushrooms from pan and set aside. Add more oil if necessary and cook pepper, onion and zucchini until soft, about 5-8 minutes, add garlic and cook for 30 seconds more. Add wine and scrape bits off bottom, return meat and mushrooms to Dutch oven, add Italian seasoning and prepared pasta sauce. Adjust salt and pepper. Cover and allow to simmer stirring occasionally, 30-45 minutes.
- In the meantime, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook Spaghetti al dente, according to package directions. Drain, but do not rinse or add oil. instead, toss with a little of the sauce.
- Serve immediately with sauce and grated Parmesan cheese.