- 1 ¼ cup yellow corn meal
- ¾ cup unbleached flour
- ¼ cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ½ cup whole milk
- 1 15 oz can creamed corn
- 2 tbsp canned chopped jalapenos (optional)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup melted butter
- 2 tbsp bacon fat or coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Coat a 12-14 inch cast iron frying pan with fat or oil by heating it in the oven before adding cornbread mix. The hot skillet will create a nice crust when the mix is poured into it.
- In a large bowl, whisk together dry ingredients. In another bowl mix milk, creamed corn and sour cream. Add eggs and mix thoroughly. Add jalapenos if using.
- Gently pour wet mixture into the dry ingredients and mix only until combined. Don't over mix.
- Add melted butter and fold to combine.
- Carefully pour mix into the hot skillet and bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown and firm in center. Let cool 5 minutes.
- Cut into wedges and serve with softened butter and honey.