Roasted Tomato Soup
- 2 14 ounce cans diced tomatoes
- ¾ Cup extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 small carrots, diced
- 2 medium yellow onions, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Cup chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 tbsp butter
- ½ Cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1 Cup heavy cream, optional
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Prepare a baking pan with cooking spray.
- Stain the diced canned tomatoes, reserving the juices and spread tomatoes on the baking pan . Season with salt and pepper to taste and drizzle with half a cup of olive oil. Roast until caramelized, about 15-20 minutes.
- In a large saucepan, heat remaining olive oil over medium-low heat. Add celery, carrot, onion. Cook until soften, about 10 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for about 30 seconds more. Add the roasted tomatoes, reserved juices, chicken broth, bay leaf and butter. Simmer until vegetables are very tender, about 15-20 minutes. Remove from heat, add the basil and cream. Remove bay leaves.
- Puree with a hand held immersion blender, or carefully use a traditional blender working in batches, until smooth.