Grilled New York Strip
- 8 1.5-inch Prime New York strip steaks, 10-12 oz each, trimmed.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
- About half an hour before grilling, remove the steaks from the refrigerator and let warm, covered, at room temperature.
- Heat the grill to high. Brush the steaks on both sides with oil and season liberally with salt and pepper. Allow seasoning to sit on steaks 3-5 minutes.
- Turn the heat to medium-high and place the steaks on the grill. Do not close the cover.
- Cook until golden brown and slightly charred; For medium-rare cook 4-5 minutes., turn the steaks over and continue to grill 3-5 minutes more (internal temp. 135° F) Add 3.5 minutes per side for medium (140° F). or add 5+ minutes per side for well done (150° F).
- Remove to a platter or grooved cutting board. Tent loosely with foil and let rest 5 minutes before serving.
- Brushing the steaks with oil before seasoning with salt and pepper is debatable. Brushing the grill with oil before cooking may be a better choice.