Grilled Brie with Tomato Jam
For the grill
- 1 8oz wheel of Brie
- 1 French or Italian baguette,sliced ¼-inch thick on the bias·
- Extra-virgin olive oil forbrushing
For the tomato jam
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 piece (1-inch) fresh ginger, peeled and minced(1T)
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 28oz can whole peeled tomatoes injuice
- ½ Cup red-wine vinegar
- ¼ Cup honey
- ¼ Cup light-brown sugar, packed
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- To prepare jam, heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic, fresh ginger, and onion. Cook, stirring frequently, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes with juice, breaking up tomatoes with a wooden spoon. Add vinegar, honey, brown sugar, ground ginger, cloves, and cinnamon sticks.
- Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until tomatoes have broken down and mixture is thick, about 60-75 minutes. Discard cinnamon. Let cool completely before serving or storing. Jam can be refrigerated in an airtight jar for up to 2 weeks.
- Heat grill (or grill pan) to high with an area of indirect heat. Brush hot grates and the cheese rind with oil. Grill until cheese is marked by grates on outside and starting to melt inside, flipping once. About 3 minutes per side.
- Brush the baguette slices with oil on both sides. Grill, flipping once until marked by grates, about 1 minute per side.
- Serve warm with jam.