Green Beans with Bacon
- 3 Lbs fresh green beans, trimmed
- Kosher salt
- ½ lb bacon, chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes, (Optional)
- ½ lemon, juiced
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Add the trimmed green beans to a large pot of boiling, salted water. Cook until the beans turn bright green and are crisp tender. About 5 minutes.
- Prepare a large bowl with ice water. Drain the beans, then shock them in the cold water to stop the cooking. Drain the beans again and set aside.
- Cook bacon in a large, heavy skillet over medium-high until crisp. With a slotted spoon, remove the bacon to a paper towel-lined plate to drain. Pour off all but 2 tablespoons of the bacon grease.
- Add onion and saute' until soft and fully cooked, 4-5 minutes. Add garlic and pepper flakes (if using) and saute' for about 30 seconds more, until garlic is fragrant.
- Add green beans to the pan and cook until heated through about 5-6 minutes. Add the bacon and lemon juice. Toss with salt and pepper.