Country Baked Steak
- 4 lbs cubed steak (tenderized round steak)
- 1 ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup vegetable oil more as needed
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp Kosher salt
- 1 tsp Fresh ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Have ready a roasting pan with tight fitting lid.
- Remove the steak from the fridge and allow to warm, covered on the counter for about 20 minutes. Cut cube steak into serving sizes (6-8 oz). Season both sides of the meat liberally with salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Heat oil in a large, cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Once the oil is shimmery, dredge steaks one at a time lightly with flour just before browning. Shake off excess flour and brown both sides of the cube steak, about 3-5 minutes per side. Reduce heat to medium if beginning to burn. You can fit three of four steaks in the skillet at a time, but do not overcrowd them.
- As steaks brown, transfer each to the roasting pan. Stager layers if necessary. After all steaks are in the roasting pan, pour the warmed chicken and beef broth over meat and lay aluminum foil over the pan. Top with the lid to achieve a tight seal.
- Bake for one hour. Remove from oven and allow to cool and rest for about 10 minutes in the gravy.
- Serve with mashed potatoes.