Coconut-Lime Cream Cups
For the graham-crackercrust.
- 8 full graham-cracker sheets,pulverized*
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 4 tbsp granulated sugar
- Kosher salt
For the pudding.
- 8 tbsp unsweetened coconut flakes
- ⅓ cup cornstarch
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- Kosher salt
- 5 egg yolks
- 1 14oz can coconut milk
- 1 ½ cup half and half
- 3 limes grated and juiced (roughly ⅓ cup juice)
- 1 ½ cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter softened
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tbsp confectioners’ sugar
- Pulse graham crackers in a food processer until finely ground or using a large zip-lock bag, place crackers in bag, squeeze out air, seal and roll with rolling pin until reduced to fine crumbs.
- Mix graham cracker crumbs, melted butter, 4 tablespoons granulated sugar and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Press into the bottom of 8 large cups (wide mouth 8oz jars are perfect). Refrigerate.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Toast the unsweetened coconut flakes on a baking sheet in the preheated oven until golden, about 8-10 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan with a heavy bottom over medium-high heat, whisk together cornstarch and 1 cup granulated sugar and salt. Add egg yolks and whisk to combine. Whisk in coconut milk and half and half. Cook, stirring constantly, until bubbling and thick, about 4-5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium low and continue to boil for another 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in lime zest, juice and sweetened coconut. Add 3 tablespoons softened butter and continue to stir until butter is incorporated. Let cool about 10 minutes.
- Using a ladle, divide pudding evenly among the cups or jars and place a piece of plastic wrap directly on the surface of each pudding to stop skins from forming. Refrigerate until firm, at least 1½ hours or up to two days.
- Before serving, whisk heavy cream and confectioners' sugar until soft peaks form. Dollop mixture on top of puddings and return to refrigerator for up to an hour. o Top with toasted coconut flakes and lime zest, and serve immediately.