Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 2 chicken breast boneless, skinless
- 2 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1 cup yellow onion diced
- ½ cup green bell pepper diced
- ½ cup red bell pepper diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 10oz can Rotel tomatoes
- 4 cups chicken broth low sodium
- 4 cups hot water
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 15oz cans black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 15oz can whole kernel corn drained
- 3 tbsp cornmeal
- 5 corn tortillas small
- Preheat oven to 375° F. Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper or cooking spray.
- Mix cumin, chili powder, garlic powder and salt. Coat chicken breast with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Sprinkle chicken breast with 1-2 teaspoons of spice mix. Place chicken on prepared baking sheet and bake until cooked all the way through, 15-20 minutes. Remove from oven and cut into cubes. Set aside.
- In a large Dutch oven, over medium-high heat, add 1 tablespoon olive oil, onion, green and red pepper and cook until onions soften and begin to color, about 5 minutes. Add remaining spice mix and stir to combine.
- Add garlic and cook for about 30 seconds more, then add Rotel tomatoes, cubed chicken (along with any accumulated juices), chicken broth, hot water and tomato paste.
- Stir to combine and bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 20 minutes. Add black beans and corn.
- Mix the cornmeal with ½ cup water and add the mixture to the pot while stirring and continue to simmer the soup for another 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Adjust salt and seasoning to taste.
- Cut the tortillas into 2-3 inch uniform strips. Add most of them into the soup just before serving. Top individual bowls with remaining tortilla strips.