Blueberry Baked French Toast
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter softened
- 10 extra large eggs
- 2 ¾ cup half & half
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar plus 2 tablespoons
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar lightly
- 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tbps grated orange zest extra for garnish
- ½ tbsp kosher salt
- 10 cup French bread day old and diced 1-inch
- 12 oz fresh blueberries
- 2 tbsp Confectioners’ sugar
- Pure maple syrup warmed
- Butter a 9"x13" baking pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, half & half, granulated sugar, brown sugar, vanilla, orange zest and salt.
- Layer half the diced bread in prepared baking pan. Spread the blueberries in a single layer. Top with remaining bread. Pour the egg mixture over blueberries and press down to make sure all the bread is soaked. Sprinkle with the remaining 2 tablespoon of sugar and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Place rack in middle of oven and preheat to 350° F.
- Put the baking pan on a sheet pan and bake for 60-70 minutes, until the custard is set. The top should be puffy and golden brown. Check after 45 minutes. If it's getting too brown, cover lightly with aluminum foil.
- Once done, remove from oven and cool for 10 minutes. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar and dust with remaining orange zest.
- Serve with warm maple syrup.