- 2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp Salt
- ½ tsp cream of tarter
- 2 tsp sugar
- ½ cup shortening.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, salt, cream of tartar, and sugar. Cut in shortening until dry ingredients resembles cornmeal. Try not to over work.
- Make a well in the center of the flour mixture, add milk and stir quickly. Turn dough onto a lightly floured board and knead gently 10 – 12 times. Roll to ½ inch thickness and cut with 2-inch biscuit cutter (a canning jar lid will work in a pinch, so will a can open at both ends).
- Brush tops with milk or cream and bake on ungreased sheet for 10 minutes or until light brown on top and bottom.
- Serve hot with butter, jam or honey.